1. McCarthy KJ, MA Accavitti, and JR Couchman(1989) Immunological characterization of a basement membrane specific chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan. J Cell Biol. 109: 3187-3198.
2. McCarthy KJ and GI Kaye (1990). Comparison of osmium/sonication and EDTA sonication microdissection techniques in exposing the adepithelial basal lamina surface of developing rat colon. J. EM. Tech. 14: 367-372.
3. McCarthy KJ and JR Couchman (1990 ) Basement membrane specific chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans: localization in adult rat tissues. J. Histochem. Cytochem 38: 1479-1486.
4. Couchman JR, JL King, and KJ McCarthy (1990). Distribution of two basement membrane proteoglycans through hair follicle development and hair growth cycle in the rat. J. Invest. Dermatol., 94: 65-70.
5. Yoshizuka M, KJ McCarthy, GI Kaye, and S Fujimoto (1990). Cadmium toxicity to the cornea of pregnant rats: Electron microscopy and X-ray microanalysis. Anat. Rec. 227: 138-143.
6. McCarthy KJ, Y Horiguchi, JR Couchman, and J-D Fine (1990). Ultrastructural localization of the core protein of a basement membrane -specific chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan in adult rat skin. Arch. of Dermatol. Res. 282: 397-401.
7. Couchman JR, KJ McCarthy, DR Abrahamson, J-D Fine, and GR Parry (1990). Immunological and molecular approaches to the study of basement membrane proteoglycan diversity. Biochem. Soc. Transactions 18: 819-820.
8. Lyons AW, S Narindrasorasak, ID Young, T Anastassiades, JR Couchman, KJ McCarthy, and R Kisilevsky (1991). Co-deposition of basement membrane components during induction of murine splenic AA amyloid. Lab. Invest. 64: 785-790.
9. Lin WL, E Essner, KJ McCarthy, and JR Couchman (1992). Ultrastructural immunocytochemical localization of chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan in Bruch’s membrane of the rat. Invest. Opthal. Vis. Science 33: 2072-2075
10. Couchman JR, KJ McCarthy , and A Woods (1992). Proteoglycans and glycoproteins in hair follicle development and cycling. In “The Structure and Molecular Biology of Hair” K. S. Stein, A.G. Messenger, H. P. Baden, eds. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences vol. 642, The New York Academy of Sciences, New York. pp 243-252.
11. McCarthy KJ, JR Couchman, DR Abrahamson, K. Bynum, and PL St John (1994). Basement membrane specific chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan is abnormally associated with the glomerular capillary basement membrane in diabetic rats. J Histochem Cytochem 42: 473-484.
12. Couchman JR, DR Abrahamson, and KJ McCarthy (1993) Basement membrane proteoglycans and development. Kidney Int. 39: 79-84 (review).
13. McCarthy KJ, K. Bynum, PL St. John, DR Abrahamson , and JR Couchman (1993). Basement membrane proteoglycans in glomerular morphogenesis: Chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan is temporally and spatially restricted during development. J. Histochem. Cytochem41: 401-414.
14. Lipke DW, KJ McCarthy, TS Elton, SS Arcot, S Oparil, and JR Couchman (1993). Coarctation induces alterations in basement membranes in the cardiovascular system. Hypertension 22: 743-753
15. Ehara T, FA Carone, KJ McCarthy, and JR Couchman (1994). Basement membrane chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan alterations in a rat model of polycystic kidney disease. AM. J. Path. 144: 612-621.
16. Sannes PL, KK Burch, J Khosla, KJ McCarthy, and JR Couchman (1993). Immunohistochemical localization of chondroitin sulfate, chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan, entactin, and laminin in basement membranes of postnatal developing and adult rat lungs. Am. J. Resp. Cell and Mol. Biol. 8: 245-251.
17. Couchman JR, LA Beavan, and KJ McCarthy (1994). Glomerular Matrix: Synthesis, turnover, and role in mesangial expansion. Kidney Int 45: 328-335.
18. McAndrew J, AJ Paterson, SL Asa, KJ McCarthy, and JE Kudlow (1995). Targeting of transforming growth factor-a expression to pituitary lactotrophs in transgenic mice results in selective lactotroph proliferation and adenomas. Endocrinology 136: 4479-4488
19. Thomas, G, L Shewring, KJ McCarthy, JR Couchman, RM Mason, and M Davies (1995). Rat mesangial cells in vitro synthesize a spectrum of proteoglycan species including those of the basement membrane and interstitium. Kidney International 48: 1278-1289.
20. McCarthy KJ (1997) Development of the glomerular basement membrane and mesangial matrix: Asynchronous maturation of glomerular extracellular matrices. Microscopy Research and Technique 39: 233-253
21. Wassenhove-McCarthy DJ and KJ McCarthy (1999). Molecular characterization of a novel basement membrane associated proteoglycan, leprecan. J. Biol. Chem. 274: 25004-25017.
22. Rayan, G.M., C.J. Haaksma, J.J. Tomasek,, and K.J. McCarthy (2000) Basement membrane chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan and vascularization of the developing mammalian limb bud. Journal of Hand Surgery 25: 150-158.
23. Kolomytkin OV, A A Marino, KK Sadasivan, WD. Meek, Robert E. Wolf, V Hall, KJ McCarthy, and J A Albright (2000). Gap junctions in human synovial cells and tissue. Journal of Cellular Physiology. 184: 110-117.
24. McCarthy KJ, RE Routh, W Shaw, K Walsh, TC Wellbourne, and JH Johnson (2000). Troglitazone halts diabetic glomerulosclerosis by blockade of mesangial expansion. Kidney International 58: 2341-2350.
25. Bhatti, R, DP Mukerjee, KJ McCarthy, SH Rogers, DF Smith, and SW Shalaby (2001). The growth of chondrocytes into a fibronectin-coated biodegradable scaffold. J. Biomaterials Research, 56:74-82.
26. Routh, RE, JH Johnson, and KJ McCarthy (2002). Troglitazone suppresses the secretion of type I collagen by mesangial cells in vitro. Kidney International 61:1365-1376.
27. Lauer, M and KJ McCarthy (2002). In vitro matrix assembly induced by the Critical Assembly Concentration. J. Histochem. Cytochem, 50: 1537-1541.
28. Routh RE, KJ McCarthy, and TC Welbourne (2002). Troglitazone inhibits glutamine metabolism in cultured rat mesangial cells. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 282: E231-238.
29. T. Welbourne, G. Su, G. Coates, R.E. Routh, KJ McCarthy and H. Battarbee (2002) Troglitazone induces a cellular acidosis by inhibiting acid extrusion in cultured rat mesangial cells. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 282: R1600-1607.
30. Bhati R, G Zibari, DJ Wassenhove-McCarthy, M Mancini, and KJMcCarthy (2002). Differential distribution of aVb3 and aVb5 integrins in vascular smooth muscle cells in regions of neointimal hyperplasia within stenosed vascular access grafts. In “Vascular Access for Hemodialysis VIII”. M. Henry and D. Campbell eds. ACCESS Medical Press, Arlington Heights, Illinois
31. Karim A, KJ McCarthy, A Jawahar, D Smith, B Wills, and Anil Nanda (2005) Differential cyclooxygenase-2 enzyme expression in radiosensitive versus radioresistant glioblastoma multiforme cell lines. Anticancer Res 25: 675-680.
32. Karim, A., Fowler, M., Jones L. Patwardhan, R., Vaneemreddy P., McCarthy KJ, and Nanda A. (2005). Cycloxygenase-2 expression in brain metastasis. Anticancer Research 25: 2969-71.
33. Lauer, M, Scruggs, BS, Chen, Shoujun, Wassenhove-McCarthy, DJ, and KJ McCarthy (2007). Tissue distribution of Leprecan in Developing and Adult Kidney. Kidney International 72(1):82-91.
34. Wijnhoven TJM, JFM Lensen, ALWMM Rops, KJ McCarthy, J van der Vlag, JHM Berden, LPWJ van den Heuvel, and TH van Kuppevelt (2007). Glycosaminoglycan-based drugs as therapeutics for the treatment of proteinuria. Current Opinion in Molecular Therapeutics 9: 364-377.
35. McCarthy KJ (2008) Basement Membranes: From the Matrisome to Beyond Microscopy Research and Technique 71 (5): 335-338.
36. Chen, S, Y Yamaguchi, A Woods, L Holzman, DJ Wassenhove-McCarthy, T Van Kuppelvelt, G Jenniskens, T Winjhoven and McCarthy KJ, (2008) Loss of heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycan assembly in glomerular podocytes does not lead to rapidly developing proteinuria. Kidney International. Kidney International 74 (3): 289-299.
*Editorial Commentary for the article appears in same issue
37. Chen, S, Wassenhove-McCarthy, A Woods, L Holzman, Y Yamaguchi, T van Kuppevelt, and KJ McCarthy. (2010) Cell surface heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycans are important in mediating cell-matrix adhesion in podocytes. Kidney International 78: 1088-1099.
38. S.M. Pyott, U. Schwarze, HE Christiansen, M Pepin, D Leistritz, R Dineen, K Ward, B Burton, B Engle, K Kim, M Sussman, R Steiner, KJ McCarthy, MA Weis, D Eyre, and PH Byers. Mutations in PPIB (cyclophilin B) delay type I procollagen chain association and result in perinatal lethal to moderate osteogenesis imperfecta phenotypes (2011). Human Molecular Genetics doi 10.1093 /hmgddr037.
39. KJ McCarthy and DJ Wassenhove-McCarthy. (2012) The glomerular basement membrane as a model system to study the bioactivity of heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycans. Microscopy and Microanalysis 18:3-21.
40. Sugar T, DJ Wassenhove-McCarthy, JD Esko, T van Kuppevelt, L Holzman, and KJ McCarthy (2014). Podocyte-specific deletion of NDST1, a key enzyme in the sulfation of heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycans, leads to abnormalities in podocyte organization in vivo. Kidney International 85: 307-318
41. Sugar T, DJ Wassenhove-McCarthy, J. Green, AW Orr, T van Kuppevelt, and KJ McCarthy (2016). N-sulfation of heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycans is a key, critical component in podocyte cell-matrix interactions. American Journal of Physiology-Renal Physiology, 310: F1123-F1135.
*Editorial Focus for the article appears in American Journal of Physiology-Renal Physiology 311: F310-F311.
42. Jackson, KL, Lin, W, M Panchatcharam, , S Miriyala, KJ McCarthy, R Klein (2017) p62 pathology model in the rat substantia nigra with filamentous inclusions and progressive neurodegeneration. In Press, PLOS one.
43. Chandra, M., D Escalante-Alcalde, MS Bhuiyan, AW Orr, C Kevil, AJ Morris, H Nam, P Dominic, KJ McCarthy, S Miriyala, M. Panchatcharam (2018). Cardiac-specific inactivation of LPP3 in mice leads to myocardial dysfunction and heart failure. Redox Biology 14: 261-271.
1. McCarthy KJ (2015) The Basement Membrane Proteoglycans Perlecan and Agrin: Something old….something new. “Basement Membranes” JH Miner, ed. Elsevere, Oxford.
© 2019 LSUHSC. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by GroupM7 Design™